Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Polarity of Pennsylvania.

There are two main media markets in Pennsylvania, and each of them are centered on a city of substantial size. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh straddle the state-the former rests on its far eastern border and the ladder sits on its western edge. It's natural therefore that the two constitute a polarity that goes well beyond their physical relationship. In matters of politics, culture, demographics, attitude, and feeling they are worlds apart. I grew up about an hour north of Philly, and I've lived the other half of my life in Pittsburgh. I've seen their differences firsthand and clearly, and to whatever extent a disconnect exists between the respective peoples- I've experienced it.

I've been thinking a lot about these two places because of the ongoing saga of the new Penguins arena. When it comes to the NHL, my childhood loyalties extend into the present. To whatever extent I am a sports fan, it is because I follow the Flyers. They are the only sports team I watch play. But my allegiance to the Flyers does not preclude me from wishing the Penguins well. So when I see Philly fans talking trash on the Penguins, or Pittsburgh itself- I feel inspired to come to the defense of my adopted hometown. Because of the divisional rivalry, Flyer fans tend to express great extremes of negativity in putting down Pittsburgh. This kind of thing has been going on for a long time, but it has reached a bit of a boiling point this year because (for once) the Penguins are clearly the better team. I'm not happy about that, but there it is. And at the same time, there's been all of this controversy about the future of the Penguins in Western PA.

On a number of occasions I have read comments from Flyer fans suggesting that Pittsburgh doesn't deserve a team, or a new arena. Despite the fact that state taxes are not financing the construction of the new facility (the money is partially coming from gaming revenues), people in Philadelphia seem to be resentful. Perhaps it's the prospect of having to face Sidney Crosby eight times a year. But instead of being happy that this storied rivalry is ensured of continuing, all the sour grapes that accompany a losing season are making Flyer fans reek with resentment. I have found myself in several acrimonious exchanges on a Flyer fan website, debating the relative merits of Philly and the Burgh. Today I was set off when someone characterized Pittsburgh as a "toilet". I replied by raising the ante and calling Philly a cesspool. Of course, then it was "on".

In many ways , a comparison between to the two cities is unfair and inappropriate. Philly is the fifth largest city in America. With a population of 330,000 (+/-) , Pittsburgh is like a provincial cousin. But still, having a discussion about Pittsburgh with our cross-state neighbors is a good opportunity to see just how igorant East Coasters can be. People on the other side of the Keystone state will tell you that the Three Rivers still burn, and that the sunlight never permeates the thick layers of industrial smog. This is received "wisdom" from forty years ago... but what would they know? They don't take the time to visit. I think Philadelphians get a bit lost as soon as they get out from under the shadow of NYC.

The most ironic thought is that someone from a city affectionately known as "Filth-a-delphia" has the temerity to call Pittsburgh dirty. Take the challenge- board an AMTRAK in the Burg, take it through Philly, and decide for yourself what the nastiest part of Pennsylvania is. Philadelphia is legendary for its garbage. And its blight. And its crime. Among the ten largest US cities, Philly was ranked #1 for its per capita homicide rate in 2006. That's right... the "City of Brotherly Love" is more violent than D.C., L.A., Houston, NYC or Miami. Sure... there are parts of Pittsburgh that I would rather not walk through at night. But try driving through West or North Philly during the day! It looks like a Third World war zone. As one honest local put it, "I like going into the city... I just know to avoid 70-80% of it". But it's difficult to pick and choose as you please, because Philadelphia is also very congested. It has twice the population density of Pittsburgh. And a lot of those folks are real pissed off.

Granted Philly does have its charms. If you are a colonial history buff, there is a lot to look at. The food is something I have missed since I left eastern PA... fine dining is not one of Pittsburgh's strengths. Of course, any market of Philly's size is going to offer cultural and entertainment options that a medium-sized city can't match. There is also a burgeoning arts scene, as artists from Brooklyn get priced out of their rentals. And most importantly, the southeastern corner of PA has the virtue of proximity. The shore, Manhattan, the Poconos, DC, Baltimore, and the Pine Barrens are all a short drive from center city. Plus the Flyers play there.

Sure, I could have fun over a weekend, visiting the big city. But if I want the full East Coast urban experience, I'll just skip Philly and drive the two extra hours to New York City. And if I want to bring up a middle class family within an urban environment, I'm going to avoid Philly like a disease. The few attractive neighborhoods in the city require an exorbitant amount of money to live comfortably. Pittsburgh offers much more home for a reasonable price, and you don't have to live in South Jersey to feel safe. It's clean, it has it's share of culture, and the area's public schools are much better than those in Philly. There is a laid back attitude that you could never find on the hard-scrabble, back-biting streets of Philadelphia. And of course, Sidney Crosby plays here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home