Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Landmark Occasion: 365 Posts.

I started this blog on a lark. All I wanted to do initially was to leave a comment on a friend's blog, and I found myself signing up for an account with Blogger.com to do so. Assured by the online prompts that informed me that creating a blog was "Easy!", I went ahead and initiated Serendipity. In the beginning I thought I'd keep a photo blog, offering a daily image with accompanying commentary. What I didn't count on was the amount of time it actually took to upload a digital file with a dial-up internet connection. Instead I ended up making regular "text-only" updates daily.

Right off the bat I found it easy to find something to write about every day. Along with drawing and photography, writing is something that I enjoy. The regular routine of posting to the blog was easy to subsume into my lifestyle. The discipline required to do so added an extra element of order to my existence. The freedom I allowed myself in picking the topics for each post was invigorating. It's become my way of living in a more meaningful way. It's also provided an intentionality to the choices I make. Many of the decisions I've made over the last year were affected by this project.

After a month or so, I decided that I wanted to write a post every day for a year. This was a tangible goal, and kept me motivated to create entries even when I thought I'd have nothing to say worth reading. Perhaps that has been the case on many days. But the entirety of the experience has definitely been more than the sum of its parts. There were a few days last summer when I was traveling that I failed to find access to a computer. Those were the only days I missed. However I started Serendipity last June, and I've reached the magic number of 365 posts today.

It's difficult now to remember what rewards I expected from this project. I was pretty naive about how many people would be reading this blog. For long stretches I felt the visitor tallies were actually steadily decreasing, and that was a bit discouraging. But now I'm satisfied with the small readership I have been able to build. Anywhere from 40-60 unique computers access Serendipity daily. For a site that is as thematically scattered as this one is, I feel good about those totals. I use a very rudimentary tracking service to monitor traffic. One of its advantages is that I can tell what type of keywords (in the various search engines) lead people to my site. I've written a lot about obscure media and little-known characters... it feels good to know that seekers can find information about these oddities through Serendipity.

Overall the rewards I've experienced have been intangible. I haven't been "discovered" by any influential people. I've certainly not gotten any monetary compensation for my work. But I have put my thoughts in order, and communicated on a deeper level with a group of folks that I wouldn't likely have interacted with in any other case. Similarly, some of my friends and family now have a better idea about my day-to-day thoughts and beliefs. There's no way to put a concrete value on those consequences.

One of the things I have tried hard not to do is to allow this blog to become too self-referential. I wasn't interested in revealing much about my experience of keeping this blog going. It's for that reason that I won't drone on and on now that I've reached my goal. However, I did feel it was appropriate for me to note the achievement of a landmark that has sustained me in my efforts for several months now. It's satisfying to know that I have followed through.

As far as the future of Serendipity is concerned, I honestly don't have a clue. For the meantime, I think I'll probably continue posting at the same pace just out of a sense of simple inertia. I may not feel as guilty about the prospect of skipping a day. I don't know. But I'd like to thank each and every one of you that have read this site, even if you've never posted a comment. You have added to my own enjoyment of writing by providing an audience. It feels good to know that I haven't been screaming into a great void.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your questions?
Your choices were interesting. The writing often sparked.
JM

2:06 AM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

Thanks a lot for the time your invested reading the posts, and for your comments. They are much appreciated.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Dagrims said...

You're welcome.

I got value out of your blog because I learned more about you, and communicated more with you than I otherwise would have this past year.

That alone must be a significant tangible result for you.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to congratulate and thank you for completing your 365 day project. Although I can't take advantage of your reviews of the music and arts scene in Pgh., it has nonetheless made for interesting reading. And, while it's unlikely I'll read most of the books you've commented on, or movies you've reviewed, I've appreciated expanding my horizons. Finally, though I don't subscribe to some of your political and societal views, it most certainly has expanded my thought process. Actually, anything that stimulates my mind is a good thing. So, thanks again. And, what dagrims said.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really can't say enough about my experience with your blog....it's really the first (and still, the only) blog that i've made a point to peruse regularly. your adept and insightful commentary have made my online world much richer and deeper. To say that it's also allowed me to gain a small insight into the man that I both know and don't know is an understatement.
i listened to the wind, and on it - heard a faint but compelling tune which led me here. that is part of the reason that "i am here...." thanks, merge!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

marc,

It's very gratifying to hear that you enjoy reading it. Thanks for taking time to write that. Talk to ya soon.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home