Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Greatest of Bar Diversions.

The astute reader of this blog may come to the conclusion that its author has spent substantial amounts of time in bars. While this statement may be literally true, it must be pointed out that the period of greatest frequency for such activity occured in the author's free-wheeling twenties. That's right... I generally find that I'm not as interested in going out as I once was. I haven't been anything close to a heavy alcohol drinker in well over a decade. Certainly I passed through a phase of my life where I could justify nightlife as a way of overcoming boredom and ennui. But it is simply no longer the case. There is way too much I want to achieve on a day-to-day basis to allow the waste of so much time and energy. Additionally I have lost the taste for inebriation.

When I do find myself going out, my intention is generally to socialize with friends. Many of my closest acquaintances feel more comfortable at bars than in coffee houses. So instead of dragging them to environments where they feel uncomfortable, I usually just give in and meet them in their favorite spots. Invariably they seek out any diversions offered in such places. Unfortunately it's usually not sufficient stimulation to simply sit at a table, sip beer, and engage in conversation. One of the things I regret most about the American social scene, is that it offers very little cafe culture. Every drinking establishment offers an array of activities to distract its patrons from how much alcohol they've consumed. Almost without exception, a television is provided for the understimulated to stare at. There's usually a jukebox providing some element of interactivity between the consumer and the experience. It's not rare to see poker machines- many of which are used for illegal gambling. In addition, dart machines, video games, pool tables, and pinball are not uncommon.

As I pointed out, all of these options are meant to keep the drinker occupied, and thus unaware of his/her level of intoxication. If bars had to rely on the level of engagement that the average bar talk provides, then they would surely go out of business rather quickly. It's a sad state of affairs, but it is the reality here in the United States. Generally I try to stay clear of these time-wasters. If I'm not enjoying the company, I don't have a good reason to stay. But my companions often see such activities as an indispensable support for conviviality. Apparently it is easier to have an entertaining evening with these games then without them. So instead of assuming the role of killjoy, I often join in. However, because I am participating in these things, I feel compelled to win in order to enjoy them. I try to get better at what I am doing. I have a little facility with pool, a bit of skill at darts, and I can feed dollars into the jukebox without eliciting a chorus of groans.

But far and away my favorite bar pastime is trivia. I have spent way too much money feeding those table-top touch-screen video games. Once I get started I want to be tops of the leaderboard. Nothing satisfies me like the high score. While I realize that it is a terrible waste of money, I just have to keep going. When it comes down to it, I have to admit to finding it irrationally rewarding to see my name flash on the "highest scores" screen. It's total fuckin' vanity. I'm sure you can imagine how happy it makes me when a bar has one of those personal-console-and-monitor trivia game systems. Not only can every patron in the entire establishment see who wins, but it's entirely free to play. This happy congruence of my personal preferences is irresistable.

Earlier today a friend and I drove out to the Rivertowne Inn in Verona for lunch. When I looked around and saw ESPN news on every television screen, I immediately worried that they got rid of their game system. But after a quick inquiry, we were on our way to NTN Buzztime paradise- nothing at stake but our own sense of dignity. I could have stayed there all evening. Not only are all local scores posted, but the national rankings are displayed after every match. While I couldn't attain the countrywide leaderboard, I did score the number 2 highest score for the month at the bar. I had such a good round that the runner-up came up and introduced himself to me. All of a sudden I was a minor celebrity. The taste of victory overwhelmed the sheen of deep-fried soft pretzel that I was unable to wash down with copious amounts of iced tea. For no reason at all, I went home happy. Barry Bonds has nothing on me!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't aware you were into trivia at bars. Must be at least partially genetic...the trivia fascination that is, not the bar thing. C and I have done that sometimes when I'm in Florida, making it a guys night out. The most amazing thing to me is when I beat him, and make the top of the list. I guess what I've said all along is true...I know a little about a lot of things and not a lot about any particular thing. Perhaps sometime we'll have to play a round or two. I suppose finding a trivia setup at a coffeeshop would be to much to ask, huh?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

I'm actually surprised that I never mentioned my liking for trivia games. I'm the same way you are- with a broad base of knowledge of essentially useless arcana. I'd enjoy joining you in a round or two. I don't know of any coffeeshops that feature NTN, but I agree it's a good match.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home