Monday, December 03, 2007

The Conclusion of HBO's "Oz" (Years After the Fact).

Today M. and I completed our viewing of the complete series of HBO prison drama Oz. It truly was a long, strange trip. Six seasons of machismo, menace, shifting alliances, violence, and betrayal should satiate even the most bloodthirsty of viewers. Yet at the dark heart of this journey, there is some humanity to keep us engaged. If Oz doesn't make you reflect on the prison industry (one of the fastest growing sectors in our 'New World Order economy'), then you're not watching closely enough. This milieu represents the most fatalistic and complex microcosm of our society, and if you think it represents only a narrow portion of the United States- then I think you are sadly mistaken. While it's true that life in 'Emerald City' (the 4th level unit in which most of Oz's action takes place) is an exaggerated depiction of what modern incarceration is like, it does present us with a general picture of some of the extreme difficulties that we face in our administration of 'justice'.

Season 6 brought us a heaping dollop of what we'd come to expect from watching the previous seasons. Oz's creators were never shy about eliminating its main characters, no matter how much we were led to feel for them. The last eight episodes clearly illustrate that absolutely no one is untouchable. Sometimes the abrupt endings of these lives is randomly meaningless, just as in our external reality. If we learn nothing else from this show, it is that fate is often arbitrary and capricious. One major player is eliminated in such a shockingly unexpected way that it seems anti-climactic. At other times the demise of an inmate occurs in such a dramatically poetic way that it seems almost inevitable. In fact one such episode is underscored by a big house production of Shakespeare's MacBeth that contains a fitting resolution to a conflict set up in the very first show of the series. Part of the fun (as it were) of watching Oz lies in the anticipation of these conclusions. As in life, sometimes they are satisfying, and sometimes not.

Even when I thought that I could track the logic of the scriptwriters, I occasionally found myself tricked, and sometimes devastatingly so. Episode 6 is particularly wrenching. M. and I found ourselves viewing an unthinkable story arc that inverted our feelings and hopes for those involved. It was amazing that we could be taken to such emotionally vulnerable states simply with the dramatic depiction of something we know has happened in the past. Good television strives to close the distance between the cold hard facts we hear in the news and the visceral effects of harrowing experiences, aptly portrayed by competent professional actors. Sometimes the result is magical, causing us to feel a depth of compassion we were barely aware existed within ourselves. The realization of deeply held empathy is our reward for subjecting ourselves to such tragedy. Episode 6 was the perfect example of this process. I found myself weeping for almost a half hour after seeing it.

The ultimate finale of Oz was (I believe necessarily) a bit dissatisfying. Within the last couple episodes there were intriguing new characters introduced, and tales just beginning their development. There were plenty of threads left unexplored, and their presence suggested that the creators had enough material available for an additional season. I'm not sure whether or not the word of Oz's cancellation came down while they were still shooting Season 6, but it really seemed as if Tom Fontana and company had more up their sleeves. Ultimately it doesn't matter because Oz is gone now, and has been for several years. It is left up to the viewer to speculate on the lives of the remaining inmates and administrators of Oswald Penitentiary. Neither M nor I knew what to expect in terms of resolution before watching Season 6, but I am comfortable with my speculations about the unseen futures of the characters.

It seems that any lack of closure in a television series is enough to keep curious viewers from engaging it. In the case of Oz, I feel that any hesitation based upon this absence of tidy endings is a mistake. If you have a strong stomach and enough open-mindedness to take a look at the underside of humanity, then you owe it to yourself to watch Oz. As citizens of the US, each and every one of us is complicit in a justice system that aims to protect us from those who stray outside the bounds of our laws. Turning a blind eye to the ugly realities that are created by our methods of incarceration and punishment only contributes to a collective ignorance. Having the courage to confront the complexities and consequences presented by our choices will not yield pat answers, but it can be enlightening. Why not shine a bright light into society's black corners? Can the revelations about what lurks in the darkness be as frightening as the darkness itself?

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with what crescenet said, especially as it pertains to Brazilian internet phone service :-)

marc

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Ryan said...

Felt very lost after finishing Oz yesterday. Yes, 8 years after the series ended, and I only discovered the series 2 weeks ago.

In a way, it feels very apt that I respond to your very old post.

Found your blog as I was search for more thoughts and feelings to put some meaning to what I am feeling now.

Your blog post is well-written, and I agree with what you say, how Oz was not the show that could have things tied up neatly. By doing so, it's left a lasting impression, and set us thinking about the injustices and the horrible randomness of events that befalls us all.

I guess that is one of the many feelings that haunt me - the unfairness of what I have seen, in addition to the loss I feel in suddenly losing all the wonderful characters I have met and come to know in Oz.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

Thank you for discovering my post and taking the time to respond. It is appreciated.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just "discovered" Oz, and purchased the entire series on DVD. Only the second series, I have ever done such (ST Enterprise being the other).

I am viewing it, day-by-day. I can only imagine the agony in having to wait for each episode when originally aired.

I have to agree, there seems to be more story to be told. I don't know if it was hoped the series would somehow run for more seasons than it did.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

I'm another one who found your post after finishing each season of Oz while looking for answers on a potential season 7 or some form of resolution. I completely agree with what you said. Well done!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

I finally finished Oz today after two weeks of binging on it. The ending left me unsatisfied and yet, quenched at the same time. The fact that it left the biggest question "What now?" unanswered is perhaps a gift and a curse to those who watch the show. All those characters with their love, their dreams, their goals are left in ambiguity and....as much as I want to hate it, I love it. I want to be a believer like Beecher and Busmalis and think positively. In my mind, Miguel is free, Bob Ribidau is in love, Busmalis adopts the female officer's baby, Gloria is able to find peace, Ray and Peter Marie have weekly picnics, William Giles is found reading a book to himself, Ryan tends to graves for Cyril and his father, Chucky Pancamo continues to wear jumpsuits that show off his massive physique, Poet writes more poetry etc.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Roken said...

In the UK, we got serasons 1 - 3 of Oz back in the late 90's as it was made. Unfortunately, there it stopped. Here we are in 2014, and I've only just learned it went to 6 seasons, and so in true, British OCD fashion, I've watched 1 - 6 back to back (as much as life allows) over the past two weeks.

And this, after finishing season 2 of "Orange is the new Black".

There are similarities, but where as Orange tends to follow the tail of one character, Oz drew you in to many stories. Don't be fooled, it's not an American tale, it's a tale of man generally, and there are morals for us all in there.

And despite the almost hidden narrative at the end "Oswald State Penitentiary will never re-open", there is still an opportunitity to bring it back. The problem is, modern producers will never be able to bring it back as well as it was.

For those who never saw it originally, or for Brits who only ever saw as much as Channel 4 broadcast on late night TV, it's certainly worth a revisit to see it all.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm also its one of the most deliciously homo-erotic shows ever!!!

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanna know if beecher hit life in prison at the end or if they believed him..damn that ending...

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny to see so many recent posts, it must have just been released on Amazon, where I too just binge-watched 6 years of powerful, gripping TV.
The questions about the characters will hang in the ether forever, and I'd love to know how Beechers story ends, but I've seen far less acceptable ending to shows, and I like the original bloggers take on the whole series. Cheers!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

********SPOILERS FOR ALL 6 SEASONS********

Well, there are not too many television shows that grabbed me like Oz did. Funnily enough, it was after watching Lee Tergesen in Defiance and reading his IMDB to realise that he was in Oz, and, having heard so much about its cult status (not undeservingly), I made the decision to watch it about 6 months ago.

There are not many television programs that prompt me to purchase the DVDs but after a few seasons I ended up buying them and watched the last two seasons on DVD. Everything that has been said above is true. And whilst it's been a few months since I watched it, so not all details are with me, the ending kind of had to be what it was because how the show started in the first place.

But if there was one death who I reawlly mourned, it was Said. Dying the way he did was heartbreaking. I grieved Cyril O'Reilly's death too but his was hanging over our heads for ages. I don't honestly know how he got the death penalty and Miguel managed to not only kill about three inmates but get back into Em City and then come out the other side in the bus. But I guess there's the injustices of the penal system despite every single character being guilty.

I've lately been watching The Shield, a show that owes a huge debt to Oz in the way it's been written and the multiple characters/storylines/directors. I have 4 episodes to go. Another show worth watching if you have not already done so.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just found this post too. Finished watching Oz last night and even if it looks like it is unfinishes, as if the writers had more to tell, more to show us, somehow it gives closure to an excellent TV show. In some kind of way it's finale or ending is better that way, letting us imagine how every character would go on with their lives, but with some idea of the road they have ahead. I try to convince myself it's better that way than if it would go on and on until the series lost its atractiveness and started becoming repetitive and... bad.

Sorry for the bad English (if it is), Not my native language (Although I really undestood the spanish speaking in the series :D)

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its 2016 and I just heard of Oz! So I started to watch, beginning with the first episode. I have been recouping from back surgery, so all I had was time to watch each episode for all 6 seasons. I can't even find the words to describe the emotional rollercoaster I experienced. I stayed up over 24hrs watching. I couldn't stop! But after some sleep, I began feeling empty and I couldn't continue to watch. The lives of these characters made me feel so helpless and angered for those men that are truly incarcerated. The hell they must be living in, especially for a person who like Beecher made a foolish mistake and has to live with it. But, it then defines the man he becomes. So sad and so scary! I find myself asking friends & family members if they have ever seen it. Hoping I could talk about how it effected me. I wish there were more episodes, but I'm also glad its over! I still have flashbacks of the horrors I witnessed from this show. But I also have so much love for each character and what they endured. No movie or show has EVER left me feeling like this.
It makes me wonder am I alone in how I feel?

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way. I can't stop thinking of Oz and what "might" have happened. I also flashback to the show every time I see these actors in other rolls!
I'm so fulfilled, yet so empty!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Please bring OZ back on

5:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just finished Oz,14 years after it aired. While I would have like more closure in the last episode,it almost had the "Don't Stop" Sopranos ending feel to it,only just like the Sopranos,it stopped. Some questions were answered,some were not,but we owe it to the creators after enjoying the timeless stories of violence,betrayal,and unjusticification,I've come to learn that if this is how the creators want to end the show,they have every right to do so. If anything was learned about watching the show,its to keep my ass out of prison. Cheers to a well written,all around great drama that will never be touched.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oz, a great series. I only saw the first season at time of air, and although i wished for more, i think it's ending was typical Oz fashion. Anyone wishing to watch this series can by going to https://solarmoviez.to. All 6 series are available.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Kyle for Awhile said...

No other season of oz makes me fear prison like the last season does. Throughout the show you see the horrors and violence of prison but season 6 actually shows you the mental anguish these men go through. It really makes you feel as helpless as the prisoners do.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Kyle for Awhile said...

No other season of oz makes you fear prison like the last season does. Throughout all of the seasons you see the violence and horror these prisoners must endure in order to survive but its not until season 6 that you can fully understand the mental anguish prison life has on these men. It really does leave you feeling as helpless as they do...

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with everything you all have said here... I too am left with the what now? But also somewhat satisfied knowing I can make up my own ending... amazing series. A real eye opener. Loved it... Bitter sweet ending.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just finished watching it myself, what a great series. But so many open endings. Would love a modern day reboot, most of the characters were in for life, so they'd be still in prison! It would be so good, but unfortunately i can't see it happening now.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oz is so litttt.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home