Thursday, April 05, 2007

Weekend Happenings.

Usually when I have written a weekend preview entry, I post it on Friday afternoon and it is too late for any readers to make any plans for the evening. So for a change I thought I'd post some happenings a day early. Partially my choice is influenced by my own anticipation for the weekend's arrival. At 7PM tomorrow, I'll drop off my mural proposal and I will be free to relax. It will be quite a relief to have it completed.

Anyway, the big event for tomorrow night is Unblurred on Penn Avenue in Garfield. Most of the regulars will be hosting events of one sort or another. My friend Marci (with her buddy Monica) recently opened a clothing shop on the corner of Penn and Gross, called Metamorphose. They are unveiling their Spring collection of homemade fashions (6-9PM). It's always a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere there, so I recommend you stop by if you have a taste for sartorial splendor.

Across the street, Modern Formations (4919 Penn Avenue) has their 6th Annual Spring Salon Juried Show. Patrons vote on their favorite piece, and the winner receives a solo show at the gallery. I had fun at last year's edition, and discovered the work of local artist Katherine Young. Who knows... you just might meet the next local "art star". Imagebox (4933 Penn) has paintings and "silly artworks" by Lindsey Langsdale. John C. always puts out a classy spread. Attack Theater (4805 penn Avenue) is doing their seven-minute dance series and monthly game night, and 5151 Penn Avenue is back with an opening after several dormant months.

April has a few notable omissions. Carolyn Wenning's space and the Garfield Artworks are not listing anything. Additionally, don't bother stopping by the Clay Penn. Laura Jean McLaughlin's got an exhibition over at Gallery Chiz in Shadyside (5831 Ellsworth Avenue) with Brian Fencl, entitled Pigments of the Imagination (clever, right?) Laura's stuff is ALWAYS worth checking out, as well you know if you've ever been over to my house.

The anomaly at Unblurred this time around is Stations of the Cross, over at the Open Door at 801 Negley Avenue. Apparently it's art inspired by the passion of Jesus Christ. Well it's timely, if not exactly fresh. You know you've been suffering from the complete lack of Jesus-inspired art these last few hundred years.

Tomorrow there's an opening over at Moxie Dada on the North Side. That features painters Joane Ricou and Allison Hoge. AND there's several closings happening. The Digging Pitt (in lawrenceville) offers the last chance to see Lush Life, Visual Grammar, and Regensis (@ Digging Pitt 2, 45th and Plummer Streets). That last one is my show, and if you haven't seen it, yet you read this blog... what the hell are you waiting for? Come drink a beverage with me.

Finally LaVie gallery in Lawrenceville (36th and Butler) is also ending their current show. There's a lot of great stuff there. I bought one piece (by Elina Malkin) , and considered several more. Props go to Tommy Conroy and Bronwyn, who put together a lovely exhibition.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!! Was it you that was asking me about the government grants website? well anyway, here it is... Grants I'm headed back to Cali this weekend, gotta get warm! :)

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your weekly arts scene posting makes me wish I lived on or round Pittsburgh. It's a shame this doesn't get a wider audience (not assuming, just guessing). Best wishes for a successful show closing.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

Anon,

I don't remember asking about grants, but it could just be that I'm forgetting the context that would inspire me to ask about them. I can't figure out who you are.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

Jefg,

The closing went well. Thanks for the well-wishing.

I'm actually grateful for the modest number of readers that do check in once in awhile. I feel it would be useful to me to be involved in keeping this blog even if no one read it.

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home