Sunday, June 17, 2007

Grapplling with new equipment.

I've finally given in and purchased a new camera. I put it off a long time, as if I were standing on a high dive and considering whether or not I really wanted to take the jump. I had the money for a decent consumer digital SLR, and I bought one. It's a Canon EOS Rebel XTi. When I walked into Ritz Camera I merely intended to buy a back-up lithium battery for my Canon G6. On an impulse I decided to make the upgrade. By the time I got out of the store I had spent more than twice what it cost for the body of the camera alone. The extended warranty was over $300 for three years. I bought a zoom lens, a backup battery, a tripod, a backpack, a micro lens set, and UV protector caps. I even splurged and bought a $20 "Magic Lantern" DVD for instructional purposes. By the time I decided to purchase that, I figured it was a minimal extra expense.

I should be excited with all this new gear. But the truth of the matter is that I find it a bit oppressive. All of that stuff is staring at me in the face like some kind of mute challenge. I really have no idea how to get the kind of results I want out of it. The G6 I've been shooting with for over three years is a kind of "bridge" digital camera. It's more complex than a point-and-shoot model that you stick in your pocket. It's got all kinds of manual settings that let you do more creative work. The sensors on the processing chip are smaller, and so even though it may produce images with a high amount of megapixels- the quality of those images will not be as pristine as a digital SLR with the same amount of (or even less) megapixels. You are also limited to a few lenses specifically made for the Powershot series. But unlike a digital SLR, you can use the LCD screen to shoot. I've gotten quite used to composing my shots with that tool.

For me it's all about process. I know that G6 so well that I barely have to think to get the shots I want. It's grown on me like another appendage. I've never had to worry about carrying around separate lenses. It's just grab-and-go. I'm worried that I will lose an element of spontaneity with this new equipment. It seems like such a production. I certainly don't want to go out and buy some special vest to carry around the covers and all the other crap that comes with it. I also know exactly what I can do with the G6 under just about any specific conditions. Now I have to stop and think again, just like a novice.

There's a good chance that having to undergo another phase of technical education will make me a better photographer. Once I begin to assimilate the capabilities of this new camera, I will probably have a hard time going back to the G6. And I know that it will be there if I need it. I'm not giving it away. The reality is that the Rebel XTi produces markedly better images. Now I have to build up my confidence with it. Using it has to become second nature. Only when I can intuitively perform with the camera in my hands will I be able to channel my creativity directly again. That's going to take some time, but it should be well worth the effort. Bring on the new era (I guess).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home