Friday, April 06, 2007

Yes, I'm done with the proposal.

My mural proposal is finally finished. While I am feeling some amount of catharsis because of of its completion, I have also become full of doubt. I've been working to closely with this thing for any real objectivity. For days I've been staring at my conception in one form or another. I created several rough drafts, both in pencil and in color. There's been some evolution, but the image has remained remarkably true to my original conception. I guess it's inevitable now that I question whether it's what I wanted to see. I'm not used to working so methodically. I usually begin a piece in a burst of inspiration, and follow through to the end. In this case I worked in successive stages, with hours-long breaks in between. It's been a good exercise in discipline.

The choice of crayons was riskier than I thought. There's certainly a rather widespread attitude that they are merely practice implements for children. A lot of people will automatically discount the serious intent of a work in crayon. It's mostly a perception based in childhood memory. Indeed there are working artists who have done amazing things with regular old Crayola. In a Google search I found Don Marco, who fashions himself "The Master Crayon Artist". Check out his site. While I find his subject matter to be a bit prosaic, his technique is absolutely amazing. Even the Saatchi Gallery has a crayon artist in its ranks. This guy has it down. While I am nowhere near as skilled as these guys, I have done a few things with crayons. I've evn sold a piece to a serious collector. But it has been a long time since I tried using them, and it took some time for me to rediscover the possibilities.

I also thought that the choice of crayons was appropriate for a mural proposal. It suggests an accessibility that other medioums lack. The proposals are going to be juried by a number of commuty figures including gallery owners and curators... but also professionals and city council members. Will the be put off, and find the work amatuerish because of the crayons? Who knows?

I talked to the project manager and got some additional information about the scope of the murals. They are to be painted on a stretch of busway that ranges from downtown Pittsburgh all the way to Swissvale. The proposals are going to be judged individually by members of each neighborhood receiving a mural. The murals themselves are guaranteed to be maintained for 25 years. And there will be 25 artists chosen for participation. Had I known all of this when I agreed to submit, I might have been intimidated. But I assumed the task with few preconceptions, other than the theme and the deadline.

What I am most anxiously anticipating is the reception of my concept. It will be interesting to see whether people are willing to accept my vision, or whether they will be confused and/or resistant. Perhaps they will simply judge me insane. I plan to expand my statement, and have been told that I will get to represent myself and my work in front of the jury panel. That could be the most fun part of the entire endeavor. I think I came up with aperspective that, while incorporating traditional elements, has a radically fresh take on the future of the city. There are a lot of subtle referents that will probably cause folks to ponder my intentions. I described the work yesterday as "post-apocalyptic without the darkness". I think the mystery is an essential element of any possible appreciation.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish that the project did not have to include "students". Catering to the "emerging artist" is a dumbdown. Most artists in Pittsburgh (MFAs to hobbyists) are emerging or they wouldnt be here. We should be displaying and supporting artists who have a reached an "emerged" level of image making and not entertaining kids for the summer. JM

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes for your efforts, and in coloring outside the lines by carefully coloring inside them. It would be wonderful to see this come to fruition.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

JM,

I agree in that I would characterize myself as an "emerging artist". But I'm not against working with kids on this project. I don't know exactly what to expect from their involvement, but I do know that acceptance into the project implies an obligation to work with kids. I'm OK with that. I'm pretty sure that the Sprout Fund murals don't have that component, and that's always an option. If I got accepted for this series of murals, I would expect that I could learn from the students involved, just as they could learn something from me.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

jefg,

Thanks a lot. It's certainly an exciting proposition.

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do we have to use students to make public art? Why don't we display our accomplished - paid their dues artists. Art in the art appreciating capitals of the world was not done by students. Let those students learn from their art teacher on the school cafeteria walls and lets make a place in this city for the professionals who are trying to make a living here. I am pleased to see the murals funded by the Sprout Fund around town. I wish that I had the opportunity to do one but, I'm too old and too accompolished and paid too many dues to be considered. JM

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was this PUBLIC art project not presented as an open call to all artists?
Is the art going on tax paid for space? Who is the jury? Who is making the decisions here? This is a slap in the face to Pittsburgh artists. JM

12:39 PM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

JM,

I don't think they had to use students, but I believe that decision was crucial to getting the funding for the project. I don't know those details. They will be working under the supervision of "accomplished" artists. The experience and skill set of the accepted artists will necessarily vary.

Have you really been turned down for a Sprout Fund? I'd like to hear more about that experience.

Again, I don't know all the details of the project, including the funding sources. I do know that an established and very experienced (and older)mural artist secured the money. These aren't kids that put this thing together.

As my involvement grows (or doesn't), I'm sure I'll learn a lot of the specifics.

I understand, and partially share, your cynical perspective on the local (and national) arts scene. But like any other human endeavor, opportunities are extended based upon the efforts the individual makes to gain exposure. You may be disgusted that it's the way things work, but that doesn't change the parameters. Networking plays a huge role in human activity. Before passing any kind of final judgment on the people involved, you may want to get the full story. All I know is my own little part.


With complete respect for you, your ability, your work, and your opinions,

D.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not "disgusted" by PR or networking. I use it, share it and enjoy it. This is all about striving to put the best in front of the public.
It is my understanding that there is an age restriction for the Sprout Fund mural projects?
I am not passing judgement on anyone who can stir up a public art project. Using students should not be "crucial" to finding funding
JM

1:25 AM  
Blogger little scribbler said...

Hey! Congrats on the completion of this phase. Let me know where you land. Good luck.
lk

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home