Sunday, July 02, 2006

My very first "artist's talk"

This Saturday is the closing of the very first show I ever curated- Carnivalesque: A Grim Guignol. It's at the Digging Pitt this Saturday from 6-9PM. There's also going to be a crafter's fair from 12-9PM. There are tons of talented regional artists whose work will be displayed, and if you are anywhere near Pittsburgh, I think you owe it to yourself to be there for the festivities.

Also, at 7PM I will be giving my very first ever "artist's talk". What the hell am I going to talk about? Will it be mostly extemperaneous?

I've only been to a few of these talks in my life... not because I have tried to deliberately avoid them, but rather because I never made it a point to seek them out. Admittedly, I have often said that I think much of the stated rationale for art work is art-school jargon- pompous, pretentious, and so generalized that it could be used interchangeably, or pulled off a database of whatever terms are trendy in the scene today.

Obviously, that's not what I want to do. And being a teacher in my work-a-day life, I also want to make it a point to avoid being pedantic. My ideal scenario looks something like this: People actually show up. The small but interested audience listens attentively to fascinating meanderings on the joy of the artistic process. Then people engage the artist in a lively question and answer session that morphs into a wide-ranging, but spirited discussion about how art affects all of our lives.

But really, I'll be quite satisfied if people show up. And restrain themselves from throwing rotten fruit at me.

Regardless, there's only one way to find out what ACTUALLY happens... see ya there! (?)

3 Comments:

Blogger John Morris said...

Don't stand in front of the free beer or cheese and yinz will be ok.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

That would have made me spit out my ice-cold Jameson's on the rocks (if I drank this early in the day).

1:48 PM  
Blogger Susan Constanse said...

Beer? did someone say beer?

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home