Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Solstice.

Summer "doldrums". The word itself specifically refers to near-equatorial waters, which are characterized by calms and light winds. Those are conditions much envied during the long, dark Northern winters. But somehow after days of lassitude, a strange lethargic boredom sets in. One of the things I've been doing too much of is sleeping. I even slumbered right through the the time I needed to get up and drive to my drawing session. This was especially depressing since I've been looking forward to it for a few days. With travel plans still in an incomplete stage of planning, there is not anything specific to anticipate. I've gorged myself on leisure, and I'm feeling quite unproductive.

But I've learned that this is a natural progression for me during my summer break. Around the time of the third week, I've sunk into a trough of mundanity and dissolution. That's why last year I scheduled beach trips for June. I skipped right past this phase a year ago. Now I'm forced to confront my relative inactivity head-on. The irony is that I have some major changes coming in my life during the next year. This might be the last time for awhile that I have the luxury to slip into nothingness. One would think that the fact would make me appreciate this state- but that's not the way the human heart works. We so often take for granted our blessings in life.

Today is the summer solstice. If nothing else, this day has the power to put my mindset into perspective. Astrologically speaking, it means that this is the point whereby the northern axis of the Earth tilts closest to the sun. Today we get the most sunlight of any part of the year. The sun appears directly over the Tropic of Cancer. The Catholic Church has chosen this time of year (June 23, 24) as the Feast of St. John the Baptist. This is an unusual observance for a Saint, since it marks John's birth, rather than his death (which is typical). In Ireland St. John'e Eve (the 23rd) is celebrated by the lighting of bonfires. The tradition finds its roots in ceremonies marking the worship of the Celtic Goddess Aine. Spain has also adopted the building of fires, but adds a dangerous spin- people actually jump over the raging fires to prove their courage and cleanse themselves of sin.

This time of year is also sacred among practitioners of Voodoo. St. John's Eve was commemorated with special rituals in that enigmatic religion. In truth, Midsummer's Eve festivals go back far into recorded history. June 24th was celebrated in ancient times as the summer solstice, and it wasn't until the times of Pope Gregory XIII that the longest day of the year fell on June 21st. Back in the pagan days, people believed that midsummer plants had special healing powers, and so they were picked on Midsummer's Eve. The superstitious also watched for meetings of witches and other "evil spirits". Wiccans celebrated June 24th (or therabouts) as Litha. After Midsummer, the sun would turn its back on the people and head progressively southwards, and so folks felt a need to find some way of protecting themselves.

Perhaps it is only natural for me to experience a certain restlessness at this time of the year.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home