Monday, June 25, 2007

My Return to New Vrindaban.

Watching Holy Cow Swami last week made me want to take another trip to New Vrindaban. I thought about a few people that might enjoy such a trip, and put out some invitations. M. definitely wanted to go (she had never been there), and my friend Mike desired a return visit. He had accompanied me during my visit of three years ago, when we met Tapahpunja Dasa - who gave us a very informative tour of the organic community garden. Our whole group was impressed by this elder devotee's knowledge base, commitment and worldview. When I saw the younger version of Tapahpunja interviewed by Jacob Young for the documentary, I felt inspired to return to see how things were going with the community. I showed Mike Holy Cow Swami, and we had a lot of quality conversation about the way events were portrayed and about faith and religion in general. We could have stayed up talking far into the night, but we wanted to have some energy for our day trip.

Our intention was to leave at 9AM, but Mike convinced me to let him check the oil in my car- which turned out to be a good thing since I desperately needed an oil change. This gave us the opportunity to stop at an Aspinwall coffeehouse and build up more anticipation with talk about what we were going to see. The 70-mile drive was as pleasant as I remembered. Although it was overcast on the way there, it was all sun-and-blue-skies by the time we got to Moundsville and grabbed lunch. We chose a little coffee shop with down-home cookin' (dare I say that I ate a Sloppy Joe?) and few vegetarian options for M. Then we were on our way through the wooded hills on winding back-roads, and the next thing we knew we were greeted with the bright sunlight reflected off of the top of the Palace of Gold.

M. wanted to take the tour, and I'm afraid I couldn't stop myself from badgering the guide with all kinds of questions about the state of the community, and about Prabhupada's life before coming to America. I think he was unsure about where I was coming from, and was a bit guarded about answering. Then again I would assume that tour guides are given a canned speech and encouraged to stick to it. They mostly want to keep it light and general, and include lots of little details about all the fine materials that were used during the original construction of the palace. This was all basic stuff that I had heard previously. I wanted more information. I tried to assure him that I meant well, and by the end I thought that he believed in my sincerity. He told me to take a copy of the Bhagavad Gita when he discovered that I didn't own a copy.

After that M. and I walked around the grounds. I spent some time taking photos with my new camera. It was getting very hot. I thought I'd take M. down to the "Temple of Understanding". To my dismay, it was dark and all the deities were covered. After being told that they would be unveiled in an hour or so, we decided to take a walk by the pond, aviary and guest cottages. For the first time, I noticed Hayagriva's (Howard Wheeler) monument. It is a boxlike container structure, and I wondered if his remains were inside. Mike and I decided to walk up a road between the cottages, and lo and behold we met up with Tapahpunja, who was making his way down from the farm in a car. I asked him if he would give us another tour of the gardens, and he was most agreeable. We all gathered under the pavilion.

I had meant to hear about some of the plants being grown there, but we got sidetracked quickly. I asked Tapahpunja if he had seen Jacob Young's film, but he replied that he hadn't. He did remember getting interviewed for it. I wanted to hear details about Prabhupada's life and the early years of New Vrindaban. I also wanted to know his thoughts on what it means to have a "spiritual master". As he had been a few years ago, Tapahpunja Dasa was gracious and forthcoming. He explained what it meant to be God-brothers with Kirtanananda Bhaktipada, and gave us an idea about what the man was like before the troubles of the 1980's. But he also pointed out that he had been initiated by Prabhupada, and considered him his spiritual master. After a bit our little party was thirsty, and T. sent me for some water and cups from a guest house. We realized what that meant since he had explained that the community was experiencing a shortage of water. We continued to talk, and then Tapahpunja invited us to have some dinner.

We gathered around the table for food and more great conversation. Tapahpunja has a wealth of wisdom about the nature of the food we eat, corporate monoculture, and farming. He is also politically savvy and has compelling recommendations of books and documentaries to enlighten those who choose to seek more knowledge. But what I am most impressed by is that Tapahpunja has an extraordinary facility for relating a practical lifestyle to his spiritual beliefs. It was easy to sit quietly and listen, but we also took our turns talking and asking more questions. I am always pleasantly taken aback by the generosity of Krishna and his followers. Annadanum is the practice of sharing food with others, and to many it is a sacred duty. But we felt privileged to receive pasta, salad and a tasty stew from Tapahpunja. We were equally blessed to be joined by his wife.

Inevitably the day grows long and it is time for us to leave New Vrindaban. As I expected we had plenty to think about on the drive home. One of the things that hit home with me was an impassioned claim that Tapapunjah made concerning the human condition. He said that the slaughter of human animals is effecting our karma as individuals, and collectively. The resulting baggage is the reason we are faced with pestilence, war, climate destruction and conflict. Although I'm not a Hindu, I feel that this belief deserves sufficient consideration. A meat-eater like me has to take that to heart. For both "god" and the Earth's sake, perhaps I can at least give up eating the meat of a cow?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

The Twilight Zone Music is playing in my head. I'll send this this link over to my roommate.

I wrote a paper on the Holy Cow and don't personally feel like the ban on eating their meat is beneficial, in fact, the cows wander around digging through trash.

I've made peace with being a carnivore. My body doesn't work very well without meat protein. After all, we are just animals. But we have a collective conscious, and these animals should be treated with respect for the food they give us.

You might enjoy reading about Bev Eggleston who runs a processing plant in Moneta VA. He is a well loved friend and in his own way, is also changing the face of American food production: http://www.ecofriendly.com/index.html

3:43 PM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

Lee,

Thanks for the feedback and the link. You know, if Tapahpunja had not given me a logic-based reason for giving up eating cows, I probably wouldn't have considered making this change. I have no plans to give up poultry, and I'm still on the fence about pigs.

But his arguments concerning the inefficiency of using cows to produce meat are compelling. Ultimately, the most convincing point he made concerns the effects of methane (from the ridiculous amounts of cow manure)on climate change. I had not really heard much on this subject before talking to him about it.

Personally, I am also increasingly anxious about the risks of mad cow's disease. I don't believe we are being told the truth regarding its spread.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Yes, in an overpopulated country like India, raising cows doesn't make sense. As for the methane, I read somewhere that scientists are experimenting with ways to capture the gas as an energy source.

Programs like Certified Humane would eradicate problems like Mad Cow Disease. Meat should cost more, not less. Human greed and shortcuts are the real problem.

If I were to give up one meat, I think I would choose pigs. If I think too hard about how smart they are, I get a little sick to my stomach. If I had to kill my own meat, I would have to become vegetarian, so I am a hypocrite.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Dagrims said...

If you haven't yet read Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, I strongly recommend it. It definitely has influenced (and altered) my thoughts about food and the entire processing industry.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Merge Divide said...

Dagrims,

I've read Pollan's "The Botany of Desire", and enjoyed it very much. I'll definitely be alert to the possibility of picking up "The Omnivore's Dilemma".

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home